Wednesday, August 27, 2008

So, I am beginning to like Salamanca more and more as the end of my adventure approaches. Now that I have met some people that live here and they have shown me better places than Camelot, and now that I have drunk in the streets and the on the steps of the Palacio Congreso like the locals, and have even taken part in the ritual bottelon of Calimocho (a huge bottle of Coca Cola and red wine drunken in the street), I´m feeling right at home. I could even live here for longer. I´ve already started to recognize people in the streets, which is not a thing I´m used to, but I´m starting to enjoy it. This somewhat small-town life is comforting in a way and I do enjoy not having to take a metro or a bus everywhere. And yes, this region is said to be the most conservative in Spain, but because it has two universities, the atmosphere is more relaxed than the voting ballots. It´s also quite enjoyable to watch the streets fill with high-heel wearing 80 year old women every evening, my Mama Espanola being one of them. She has shown me her wide collection of gemstoned tocones and has explained every matching outfit possibility...anyhow, the point is, once you get away from the Germans, Salamanca is a lovely city and I would recommend it to first-comers to Spain. It´s not as manic as Barcelona and would be an easier transition. I can´t see myself falling in love with Salamanca as I did with Barcelona though. It can be a bit bland and there is no beach!! But, there are mountains not far away and tiny beautiful pueblos such as La Alberca. More about that later...

No comments: