Friday, August 8, 2008

Some blah despues una semana

I´ve just finished my first week of classes and I´ve been really pleased with the lessons and teachers. 5 hours of Spanish a day can be rough at times and with the wrong teacher it can be hell, but it has been fine so far. My schedule is split up managebally as follows:
9-10 Spanish Culture
10-1 Grammar
1-2 Conversation
By the end of the day I´m a bit dead, but it´s worth it. Also, the books are quite varied and interesting and they have a lot of helpful tables and formulas, so that helps. I´ve had to teach from some aweful English text books, but these are quite easy to grasp concepts from and they have a lot of practice. Isla (the Spanish school) has a lot more students than I expected, but most of them are German or Italian! I´m the only non-German speaker in my class, so when students are translating amongst themselves, I´m lost in translation. The first 2 days there was too much German spoken in class, and I was agitated because I´m here ot speak Spanish, not listen to a language I haven´t the slightest idea about. Otherwise, I´ve found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. Yes, they only speak to you in Spanish, but I prefer it that way (if they are skilled at speaking slowly in over- simplified vocabulary). There are a few older students but most are 16 to 18 years old, which I didn´t expect. Acually, I´m only 23 and a lot of the time at school and Isla events, I feel so OLD. Oh well, maybe this is because it´s the month of August? All the kids are out of school and Mommy and Daddy decided to get rid of them for a while. Fair Enough.

No comments: